Our Family History in Whitford NZ

News > Our Family History in Whitford NZ

Janis & Sampe Allen
January 24th 2017, 3:15pm
Updated April 18th 2017, 10:30pm

Janis's Mother's side, Great Great Grandparents were the Broomfields of Whitford, New Zealand,  you can read some of their history here-:

Whitford was once called Turanga, the Maori name of its river and which is said to mean the ‘standing up place’, referring to the shallowness of the estuary and the many channels in the mud. It wasn’t until 1900 and after considerable discussion that the settlement was renamed Whitford.

Broomfields Road is named for William Broomfield, a sailor on Minerva who settled here in 1847 aged 25 years. In 1857 he married Elizabeth Congdon at All Saints Church, Howick (which you can visit), and they went on to have 12 children. The Broomfields built a cottage at the Waikopua, probably in 1858. They buried their treasures before retreating to Howick in late 1863 fearing a Maori attack. When they returned, a slip had covered their valuables and they were never found. In 1864 William became ferryman at the Maungamaungaroa to Trices Landing. The Marine Department paid to have a crate of burning candles in their cottage window, the light identifying the entrance to the Turanga River.

The Broomfields scratched out a living on their 70-acre farm growing wheat and oats, as well as farming a few sheep, pigs, poultry and a house cow. Potatoes and fish were the staple diet and cockles, mussels, mullet, sprats, kingfish, parore, flounder and sharks were plentiful. Broomfields Landing, at the bottom of Broomfields Road is now a reserve. Most landings were natural sandstone rock which at high tide made natural wharves. William Broomfield had another landing beside a big flat rock near a large pohutukawa tree, which is also known as the NZ Christmas tree for its magnificent December flowering.

And more to the list, an ancestry chart, we will add to the list as time permits, its really a personal collection-: